Emigrant Landing Depot

Castle Garden, New York, circa 1868

zoomable artifact image here

Description

This card is a stereograph image, showing a view of Castle Garden, New York harbor.  There is a sign above the entrance which reads "COMMISSIONERS OF EMIGRATION/ OF THE/ STATE OF NEW YORK/ EMIGRANT LANDING DEPOT AND OFFICES/ CASTLE GARDEN". Handwritten on the back of the card is "At New York (n.Y.)/ View of a part of 'Castle Garden' also a part of the Harbor/ also a part of 'Castle William' Staten Island in the distance."

Castle Garden served as immigration station until 1891, when operations moved to Ellis Island.