World's Columbian Exposition (Chicago,1893)

zoomable artifact image here

Description

A 'printing out' photograph of the ship Progress at the South Pond area of the 1893 Columbian Exposition, Chicago; "PROGRESS" and "NEW BEDFORD" legible on her stern,"'PROGRESS" visible on port side, bow; dressed with flags, gangway visible on starboard side;  moored near the Anthropological Building and at the site of the  village of the Quackuhl Indians, with totem poles and tepees visible in background; originally named Charles Phelps, part of the New Bedford fleet used in the Stone Fleet during the Civil War; later took part in the rescue of whalers in the Arctic in 1871; sold and renamed Progress, she was towed up the St. Lawrence River to Chicago for the Exposition;  later condemned by the City of Chicago