Glass Clyster Syringe

zoomable artifact image here

Description

Syringe; Glass clyster syringe; from the collection of Captain Richard C. Mears (1829-1899); most likely a glass clyster syringe, used to administer enemas; consisting of a long glass tube with a slender, angled bulb at the end, and a plunger to force liquids through instrument; housed in what looks to be a hand-stitched case made from assorted pieces of cardboard.