"A Jam of Icebergs"

"in Jacobshaven Fiord"

zoomable artifact image here

Description

This lithograph was taken in western Greenland during the Bradford and Hayes Arctic expedition of 1869. The Jacobshaven Ice Fjord was renamed the Ilulissat Ice Fjord or Ilulissat Kangerlua (in Greenlandic) and is home to one of the world's most active glaciers. 

Handwritten in black ink on the mat: "A jam of icebergs in Jacobshaven fiord which is some/ 12 miles long and 4 wide filled as seen. They are discharged/ from the great glacier at the head of the fiord and are prevented/ from floating away by a shoal at the entrance of the fiord or river/ Some of the icebergs seen here are 250 to 300 ft high."