The "Groton Monument" was built in 1826-1830 in Groton, Connecticut. Built on the ruins of Fort Griswold it was erected in memory of those who fell at the Battle of Fort Griswold in 1781. American architects Ithiel Town (1784-1844) and Alexander Jackson Davis (1803-1892) designed the monument in the shape of an obelisk. Made of granite from local quarries the shaft stood at 127 feet. In 1881 the monument's height was increased to 135 feet. The "Groton Monument" is the oldest monument of its type in the Country.