The Pequot House was built in 1852 and formerly opened in June of 1853 in New London, CT. It sat at the northwest corner of Pequot and Glenwood Avenues and included 1000 feet of beachfront along the mouth of the Thames River.
During its heyday, The Pequot House was the heart of a popular summer resort colony located at the southern portion of New London. Visitors from New York, Washington and Boston traveled by steamboat and train to retreat at this scenic location. The Pequot House remained a prominent hotel and landmark along the Connecticut shoreline until it burned down under suspicious circumstances on May 7, 1908.
In this image, we are looking at the southwest view of the three and a half story wood framed structure. Also noticeable is a rooftop observatory. This stereograph/albumen print of The Pequot House was taken by photographer Everett A. Scholfield before 1908. On the right-hand side of the card is the handwriting "Pequot House".