About this Lesson
"History Explorer" offers students the opportunity to explore primary sources from Mystic Seaport Museum's collection. It allows students an inside peek as to how some of the folks who work at the museum use primary sources to conduct research. "History Explorer" allows students the freedom to generate their own projects inspired by artifacts from the museum's collection.
At the heart of this lesson plan, we seek to answer one essential question: what are primary sources and how are they used in research?
• Students will learn to define and identify primary sources
• Students will learn to examine primary sources and extrapolate information from them
• Students will develop a greater appreciation of primary sources
• Students will develop a greater understanding of how primary sources impact our understanding of the past
- Created By
- Ryan Saglio
- Grade Level
- 6-8, 9-12, General Interest
- English/Literature, Language Arts, History/Social Studies, The Arts
Links to Lesson PDFs
History Explorer : Using Primary Sources in Research