For Further Study
African American Maritime History
- Calabretta, Fred. "The Picture of Antoine DeSant." The Log of Mystic Seaport Volume 44 No. 4, Spring 1993.
- Rediker, Marcus. The Amistad Rebellion: An Atlantic Odyssey of Slavery and Freedom. New York: Viking, 2012.
- Zeinert, Karen. The Amistad Slave Revolt and American Abolition. North Haven, CT: Linnet Books, 1997.
- Cable, Mary. Black Odyssey: The Case of the Slave Ship Amistad. New York: Viking Press, 1971.
- Jones, Howard. Mutiny on the Amistad: The Saga of a Slave Revolt and Its Impact on American Abolition, Law, and Diplomacy. New York: Oxford University Press, 1987.
- National Archives. "Teaching With Documents: The Amistad Case." Accessed July 11, 2013. http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/amistad/.
- Atlantic Slave Trade. 6 February 2014, 09:42-UTC. In Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Commons Inc. Encyclopedia on-line. Available from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- The Institute of Black Invention and Technology. "Lewis Temple: The Temple Toggle Iron." Inventor of the Month. Last Modified 2012. Accessed February 20, 2014. http://www.tibit.biz/inventor-2007-8.htm
- New Bedford Historical Society. "Lewis Temple." Important Figures. Last Modified 2007. Accessed February 20, 2014. http://www.nbhistoricalsociety.org/lewistemple.html
Related Art & Literature
- Douglass, Frederick, James McCune Smith, and Gerrit Smith. My Bondage and My Freedom. New York: Dover Publications, 1969.
- Washington, Booker T. Up From Slavery; An Autobiography. New York: Doubleday, Page & Co, 1901.
- Gordinier, Glenn S. ed. Gender, Race, Ethnicity and Power in Maritime America: Papers from the Conference Held at Mystic Seaport, September 2006. Mystic: Mystic Seaport Museum, Inc., 2008.
- Bolster, W. Jeffrey. Black Jacks: African American Seamen in the Age of Sail. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1998.
- McKissack, Pat, and Sanna Stanley. Amistad: The Story of a Slave Ship. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 2005.
- Chambers, Veronica, and Paul Lee. Amistad Rising: A Story of Freedom. San Diego: Harcourt Brace, 1998.
- Myers, Walter Dean. Amistad: A Long Road to Freedom. New York: Dutton Children's Books, 1998.